Thursday, December 27, 2007

Vindication

Several years ago (in the fat days) I fell head over heels for someone (codename Doctor)who: a) my mother couldn't stand and b) was not attracted to me. Looking back, I guess I can't blame him all that much, because I wasn't really attracted to myself (and if you don't love yourself, who will?). But I was hoping that my glowing fat girl personality would more than compensate for my insecurity/ flab. Sadly, it did not, and after 9 months of talking/dating/hanging out, it ended with me boo hooing, writing sad poetry and vowing to lose weight immediately. I was pretty pissed off about the whole thing because Doctor is kinda short...shorter than me in fact. Call me crazy, but he didn't strike me as one that should have been picky. But then again...Jermaine Dupri is dating Janet Jackson. As we can see, looks don't matter as long as the woman has the looks.

Fast forward to 2007. I still talk to Doctor on birthdays/holidays. In a strange twist, I've somehow become buddies with his current girlfriend and mother of his child (one of the most adorable babies I've seen!)

I decided to call Doctor and wish him a happy birthday as his b-day was a few weeks ago. After about 20 minutes, Doctor informed me that he had seen my MySpace page recently and admired my photo. (I have a photo of myself from my 10 year h.s. reunion wearing something taht normally I wouldn't wear at all--- it was "tastefully sexy" as my friend stated...but a far cry from the hoodies/jeans/sneakers combos that I've been known for in the post-h.s. era). Doctor said that he actually felt a little jealous after seeing that photo.

Heh! I wanted to make him say it again, but I decided to take the high road and just thank him for the compliment and keep it moving. The interesting thing is that in the years since I've known him, Doctor has put on about as much weight as I've lost. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if we were in this situation years ago. The truth is, everything happens for a reason. We all end up where we're meant to be.....but there's nothing wrong with getting your ego stroked along the way ;-).

No comments: